1. Actually write
2. Watch out for repetition (and annihilate it)
3. Weed out clichés
4. Aim for clean, filler-free prose
5. Read... a lot! In a wide range of genre
6. Read again, with a pencil in hand
7. Choose personal over formulaic
8. Experiment to keep your style fresh
9. Sharpen your opening and ending
10. Never forget the big picture
MORE IDEAS FROM How to Become a Better Writer: 20 Hacks and Tips
Look closely at how the other writer avoids repetition and regulates sentence length, and become aware of all the words that could’ve gone into the sentence, but were trimmed out.
“The real importance of reading is that it creates an ease and intimacy with the process of writing; one comes to the country of the writer with one's papers and identification pretty much in order.”
11. Edit your writing, solo or with a professional
12. Clarify and condense your meaning
13. Consider your reader
14. Study story structure and literary devices
15. Sign up for a writing class or course
17. Make friends with other writers
18. Be persistent and consistent
19. Stay humble
20. Embrace failure and rejection
Study your words on multiple levels:
You can become a better writer by simply becoming more aware of your surroundings.
Writing is mostly strategy. And a big part of writing strategy lies in listening.
1. Write as you speak.
2. Read it aloud.
3. Ditch the Jargon.
4. Ignore the English Teacher.
5. Put your main points first.
❤️ Brainstash Inc.