In his own words, here's how Chapman breaks down the five love languages in his book:
The five languages are pretty straightforward, but here's a brief description of what each of them mean:
- Words of affirmation : Expressing affection through spoken affection, praise or appreciation.
- Acts of service : Actions, rather than words, are used to show and receive love.
- Receiving gifts : Gifting is symbolic of love and affection.
- Quality time : Expressing affection with undivided, undistracted attention.
- Physical touch : It can range from having sex to holding hands. With this love language, the speaker feels affection through physical touch.