- Stay calm.
- Use facts as evidence for your position.
- Ask questions. If you can ask the right questions you can stay in control of the discussion and make your opponent scramble for answers.
- Use logic. Show how one idea follows another.
- Listen carefully.
- Be prepared to concede a good point.
- Study your opponent. Know their strengths & weaknesses.
- Do not get personal. Attacks on your opponent’s lifestyle, integrity or honesty should be avoided. Attack the issue not the person.
Being confident is the key to a succesful explanation.