“Heavy multitaskers are actually worse at multitasking than most people.”
Experiment - cognitive & memory tasks with distraction:
- Self-described multitaskers performed much worse than people who preferred to focus on single tasks.
- Multitaskers couldn’t perform better on any elements of the test
- Maybe chronic multitaskers are hyperdistractible people, but there’re worries that media multitasking might actually be destroying students’ capacity for reasoning
-> debate: should laptops be allowed in classrooms?
- is generated by conscious effort
- is an unwilled effect of outside forces.