A DEEP DIVE INTO
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step
86 key ideas from
It takes just
12 mins to read
Start collection & level up your skills.
What you'll learn
3 Top Key Ideas (86 total)
The book delves into the ways that trauma can affect the body and mind, and how it can be treated.
1. The Nature of Trauma: Dr. van der Kolk begins by explaining what trauma is and how it can shape an individual's brain, body, and perception of the world.
2. Brain Changes: Trauma can alter the brain's structure and function. The author delves into how different areas, like the amygdala and prefrontal cortex, are impacted by traumatic experiences.
3. Survival Mechanisms: Traumatized individuals may exhibit behaviors such as dissociation or freezing as a way to cope with threatening situations.
4. Developmental Trauma: The book also covers the impact of trauma on children and how early traumatic experiences can shape the developing brain and influence adulthood.
5. Paths to Recovery: Dr. van der Kolk outlines various therapeutic approaches that can be effective in treating trauma. This includes talk therapy, EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing), neurofeedback, yoga, and more.
6. The Social Aspect: emphasizes the importance of community and social connection in healing trauma.
“Trauma results in a fundamental reorganization of the way the mind and brain manage perceptions.”
Trauma reshapes our cognitive framework, affecting how we perceive and interact with the world. Recognising this helps in understanding behaviours in oneself and others. Leaders should approach their team members with empathy, knowing that past traumas might influence their reactions.
Want to learn more? Unlock this collection and all 86 key ideas.
What's in every Deepstash membership?
Key ideas from 1,000+ books
Access to 200,000+ ideas
Listen instead of reading
Build your knowledge library
Frequently asked questions
What is Deepstash?
Deepstash is a platform where users read and curate bite-sized insights and ideas from anywhere online, may that be books, articles, podcasts, or videos. You can learn good habits, useful skills and build your knowledge, on your own time. Deepstash makes your personal growth manageable!
Why are ideas important?
Ideas are important because they form the foundation for progress and innovation. The idea format used by Deepstash is important because it condenses complex concepts and profound thoughts into simple, digestible sentences that are easy to understand and remember. This format makes ideas more accessible and easier to apply in daily life, helping people to make positive changes and achieve their goals.
How can I use Deepstash?
Deepstash can be found on both the Apple App Store and Google Play Store. Additionally, Deepstash can be found on the web, where you can login and use Deepstash at deepstash.com.
How does the free 7-day trial work?
Start your free 7-day trial by signing up for a Deepstash Pro yearly plan. There’s no obligation to stay subscribed, and you'll only be charged on the day the free 7-day trial ends. You have access to all the Pro features during the trial.
What is included in my Deepstash subscription?
With Pro, you get all of Deepstash amazing content, but your interaction with it is unrestrained. Save as many ideas as you want, in as many stashes you desire. You can also go offline and still have access to your content, while also listening to your ideas whenever, wherever.
Can I cancel at any time?
Yes. If you are on a trial and you cancel it, you won’t be charged. If you have an ongoing subscription, you will keep your benefits until the next billing date.
When is my Lifetime Pro subscription activated?
Due to the nature of payment processing, please allow up to 24h for your Lifetime Pro subscription to become active.
A small investment, an incredible growth opportunity
Get access to 200,000+ powerful ideas from top books, podcasts, and more.
Start reading and enjoying all the pro features.
We’ll send you a reminder email that your trial is ending.
Free trial ends.
Supercharge your mind with one idea per day
Enter your email and spend 1 minute every day to learn something new.
I agree to receive email updates