Time as space metaphor shows up in our language and gestures, but also in depictions of external sequences of events.
- Histories are laid out on timelines.
- The human evolution is shown creature by creature, proceeding rightward.
- The calendar shows the days arranged from left to right and the weeks from top to bottom.
- Latin script proceed from left to right.
- If you lay out three ordered images, - a banana in its peel, the banana partially peeled and the banana half eaten - English speakers will lay them out from left to right.but Hebrew speakers will lay them out from right to left.
- Mandarin Chinese speakers refer to "last week" as above and "next week" as below. since Mandarin is written vertically, from top to bottom.