- Takes a long-range view of your growth and development.
- Helps you see the destination but does not give you the detailed map to get there.
- Offers encouragement and cheerleading, but not "how to" advice.
A mentor does not..
- Serve as a coach as explained above.
- Function as an advocate of yours in the organizational environment such as your boss would; the relationship is more informal.
- Tell you how to do things.
- Support you on transactional, short-term problems.
- Serve as a counselor or therapist.