Infographic: Apple's Biggest Acquisitions
Keep reading for FREE
2. Intel ’s smartphone modem business ($1B, 2019) is Apple’s most recent acquisition to make the top 10 list. The deal brought in critical engineering talent and patents, ramping up Apple’s push to develop modem chips for its 5G phones.
For example, FaceID, the technology that allows users to unlock their iPhone X just by looking at it, stems from Apple’s M&A moves in chips and computer vision, including acquisitions of companies like PrimeSense , RealFace , and Faceshift .
The cash-rich tech giant has continued writing checks amid 2020’s volatile market, snapping up edge-based AI startup Xnor.ai (in a deal valued at $200M), weather app Dark Sky , speech recognition startup Voysis , and VR event streaming company NextVR ($100M valuation) in the first few months of the year.
10. PA Semi ($278M, 2008) was Apple’s first acquisition of a semiconductor company. One of the reported reasons for acquiring the California-based chip designer was Apple’s interest in low-power processors for mobile devices.
1. Beats Electronics ($3B, 2014) is Apple’s largest acquisition to date. This transaction saw Apple acquire both Beats Music, the subscription streaming music service, and Beats Electronics, which makes headphones, speakers, and audio software. This acquisition reportedly aimed to boost Apple’s music services by bringing in Beats Electronics executives.
4. Anobit Technologies ($500M, 2011) , an Israel-based semiconductor startup, was acquired by Apple for its flash memory components, a key part of many of Apple’s products, as well as for its large team of chip engineers.
3. Dialog Semiconductor ($600M, 2018) is a UK-based semiconductor business. Apple expanded its chip operations in Europe by acquiring the chip supplier’s battery management business, taking on an engineering team that already had many years of experience working on chips for Apple devices.
reading habits, gather your
remember what you readand stay ahead of the crowd!
Save time with daily digests
No ads, all content is free
Save ideas & add your own
Get access to the mobile app
4.7 App Rating
building @tellimer. #engineering, #machinelearning and #crypto
MORE LIKE THIS