- Life has no intrinsic meaning but that which we give it.
- Everything is uncertain, so we must put together a world view that fits roughly with the facts, and accept that it is just a guess.
- Life cannot be described, only experienced.
- Zazen, spending hours seated in contemplative meditation, is unnecessary.
- Karma and reincarnation are not real.
- Zen and Taoism are more like psychotherapy than religion. They offer ways to maintain a healthy personality in a contradictory and repressive culture.
- Zen philosophy teaches one to think clearly, and thus transcend conventional thinking to a place where the mind could be at peace despite its environment.
233 people saved this idea