The term spirituality has one of two connotations: One is a classic religious one; the other is inspired by New Age Culture. Both categories embody spirituality better than cold, hard reason.
In a broad sense, both categories seem to move away from a world of science and reason.
MORE IDEAS FROM THE ARTICLE
In a world where we can have complete information about everything, reason can give us certain answers. However, the world we are living in is not even close to having all the answers. In this world, words are fallible. So is perception and imagination.
Reason is then more of a guide than a symbol of truth.
There are limitations to what the human mind can understand. The mysteries of the Universe and our conscious experience are too complex to be restricted to words and formulas.
We mostly operate on faith and habit in ways that aren’t obvious.
Religious or scientific dogma is trying to use today's information to understand tomorrow's unknown, knowing that today's information may prove to be wrong.
At this point, the knowledge we use to assert the laws of physics is based on only 5% of the universe. The remaining 95% is unknown dark matter and dark energy. There might be knowledge out there that science can't uncover in its current state.
Spirituality represents a healthy respect for an uncertain reality; looking at an unknown future without making any assumptions; an open mind willing to entertain the absurd.
It lets you be yourself, knowing that there is something bigger than yourself to be discovered.
Normally, philosophy teaches us new ways of thinking but rarely does it provide us with ways to live.
A true human is he who doubts yet is man enough to admit his mistakes.
A living philosophy sees the world as it is, without any color of belief or ideology.
The Dalai Lama once joked: "While the West was busy exploring outer space, the East was busy exploring inner space".
Regardless of the veracity of this, it does seem that for contemporary western societies, silence and stillness are an exception, not the rule.
Humans, by nature, are rationally weak but passionately motivated. Emotions are always stronger and drive action, and reasoning is often used as an excuse for inaction.
Neuroscience is now revisiting emotions as drivers of action, reducing them to mere tools. The complexity of emotions, especially the mixed variety, runs deeper than just being catalysts for action.