A decline in Religious Belief
- Religious belief has seen a steady decline across the world.
- Close to 30% of people in Australia claim to have no religion, and countries like western Europe report low levels of religious commitment.
- Even in the U.S., the number of atheists has risen to 3%.
RELATED ARTICLES & IDEAS
Wonder is said to be a childish emotion. However, as adults, we experience it when gaping at something unexpectedly spectacular.
Adam Smith, an 18th-century moral philosopher, describes wond...
The bodily symptoms of this strange appearance point to three dimensions:
- Sensory: The marvelous things take hold of our senses - we stare and widen our eyes.
- Cognitive: We are perplexed because we don't have a past experience to understand them. It leads to a suspension of breath, similar to when we are startled.
- Spiritual: We look upwards in veneration, which makes our heart swell.
The scale of wonder
At the mild end of this emotion, we talk about things being marvelous. More intense emotions might be described as astonishing. The extreme of this experiences is met with expressions of awe.
Deepstash is better on the app. Discover new ideas and get inspired daily.