FOLLOW Using a Laptop
Using a laptop is not an ideal way to take notes or to learn, during a lecture.
A laptop distracts and impairs the learning process, as you might be tempted to play games or multitask with it during lectures. In the old-school hand-written method, you are processing the information, leading to better understanding and learning. How you use the computer also matters, and many students can use the internet to learn or re-check information on the fly.
RELATED ARTICLES & IDEAS
FOLLOW The Best Note-Taking Methods
Note-taking is one of the most important activities for students. There are a variety of reasons for it but we only want to highlight the most important one here: Taking notes will help you recall information that would otherwise be lost. And we all know how crucial that can be when we're preparing for an exam.
The Outline method It requires you to structure your notes in form of an outline by using bullet points to represent different topics and their subtopics.
Start writing main topics on the far left ...
The Cornell Method The page is divided into 3 or 4 sections (top for title and, bottom for summary, 2 columns in the center). 30% of width should be kept in the left column while the remaining 70% for the right column. All notes go into the main note-taking column. The smaller column on the left side is for comments, questions or hints about the actual notes. The Boxing Method All notes that are related to each other are grouped together in a box.
A dedicated box is assigned for each section of notes which cuts down the time needed for reading and reviewing.
Apps are especially helpful for this method because content on the page can be reordered or resized subsequently.
FOLLOW How to Remember More of What You Learn with Spaced Repetition
C.I.G. is supported in part by its readers. If you buy through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here. A New Theory of Forgetting The Best Spaced Repetition Time Intervals The Analog Spaced Repetition System Spaced Repetition App Recommendations I'll just say what we're all thinking: studying takes too much time.
Everything Remains In Memory
A recent theory on forgetting states that
everything we learn remains in storage inside our memory, but our ability to recall and retrieve that information fades if we do not practice fetch... Spaced Repetition Learning Systems
Spaced Repetition Time Intervals can be practiced using:
The Analog spaced Repetition System: Making flashcards or 'boxes' of study material to review daily, weekly or bi-weekly. The Digital Method: Use an App like Anki, or SuperMemo. A New Way To Study
Studying takes too much time, and there is only a limited number of hours. Spaced repetition method uses time intervals and makes you recall more information, using less time.
The spacing effect maximizes learning and your study becomes more efficient and consumes less time.
FOLLOW How to Study with INTENSE Focus: 6 Essential Tips
C.I.G. is supported in part by its readers. If you buy through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here. In The War of Art, Stephen Pressfield introduces a concept he calls Resistance: "Resistance cannot be seen, touched, heard, or smelled. But it can be felt.
Take time out to rest
Sleeping 8 hours a day and taking a time-out to rest is crucial.
Give yourself time to recuperate, in order to perform better at any task, and to recall better what you have studied.
Make focus a lifestyle choice
Make focus a regular part of your lifestyle, by practicing it progressively on a daily basis.
This means making a commitment to stop using your smartphone for a few hours daily, or not checking it first thing in the morning.
Don’t take breaks from distraction. Instead take breaks from focus.
Deepstash is better on the app. Discover new ideas and get inspired daily. GET THE APP SIGN IN