- Be fully present. Avoid distractions and multitasking, focusing exclusively on the other person.
- Ask a question to better understand and help the conversation go deeper.
- Question more. Good questions make for great conversation. The more you listen, the more relevant your comments will be.
- Be empathetic. Sometimes we need to experience the other person’s feelings to really understand.
- Validate their thoughts and feelings. Doing otherwise risks ending the conversation.
- Repeat back what you have heard to communicate and calibrate understanding.
27 people saved this idea