Keep reading for FREE
At 182 million subscribers, Joe Rogan gets Musk, Snowden, and Tarantino to talk like nobody is listening.
A mediocre interviewer, but a true master of conversation.
Here are a few lessons for better conversations from 13 years of podcasting with Joe Rogan.
Joe is overprepared.
• Preparation goes beyond Googling a guest
• He reads their latest AND their first publication
• He'll dig into their views and knows their trigger points
This is what it takes to keep someone talking for 3 hours.
Lesson: your commitment sets the tone.
Joe makes guests feel safe.
• He breaks the ice and makes them laugh
• He acknowledges a guest's view & expertise
• Explains that he's here to learn, not to judge them
It starts from the first contact - Joe books guests himself!
Lesson: trust is the basis for conversation.
Joe has the curiosity of a child.
• There to feed his own mind, not the listeners
• He wants to understand what makes them tick
• He's not afraid to look dumb and asks for explanations
Where would your curiosity lead you?
Lesson: genuine curiosity gets anyone talking.
Joe rarely asks a question.
• He poses a fact that triggers a story
• He'll encourage them to go on and dig deeper
• Like modelling clay, he nudges the conversation's direction
He gets guests invested in the story, it's about them.
Lesson: don't force it, listen & adjust.
Joe has limits.
• Joe calls BS if needed
• Producer Jamie looks up facts & examples
• His input corrects & keeps the conversation on track
Everyone has the right to their own opinion, not their own facts.
Lesson: if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
Joe reads the conversation
• He leans in, reads & mirrors body language
• Alters between open questions, encouragement, and facts
• There is no predetermined endpoint, he'll steer it to a close
Lesson: a conversation is 70% non-verbal, learn to read & use it.
This applies to any conversation.
In your next conversation:
• Establish trust
• Get them invested
• Lead with curiosity
• Respond, don't react
• Overdo your homework
• Pose facts, trigger stories
• Listen, check facts & nudge
Authenticity is your megaphone.
MORE LIKE THIS
Ready for the next level?
Read Like a Pro
Explore the World’s
Take Your Ideas
Just press play and we take care of the words.
No Internet access? No problem. Within the mobile app, all your ideas are available, even when offline.
2 Million Stashers
This app is LOADED with RELEVANT, HELPFUL, AND EDUCATIONAL material. It is creatively intellectual, yet minimal enough to not overstimulate and create a learning block. I am exceptionally impressed with this app!
Best app ever! You heard it right. This app has helped me get back on my quest to get things done while equipping myself with knowledge everyday.
Great interesting short snippets of informative articles. Highly recommended to anyone who loves information and lacks patience.
Don’t look further if you love learning new things. A refreshing concept that provides quick ideas for busy thought leaders.
Great for quick bits of information and interesting ideas around whatever topics you are interested in. Visually, it looks great as well.
I have only been using it for a few days now, but I have found answers to questions I had never consciously formulated, or to problems I face everyday at work or at home. I wish I had found this earlier, highly recommended!
Brilliant. It feels fresh and encouraging. So many interesting pieces of information that are just enough to absorb and apply. So happy I found this.
Even five minutes a day will improve your thinking. I've come across new ideas and learnt to improve existing ways to become more motivated, confident and happier.
Read & Learn
Access to 200,000+ ideas
Access to the mobile app
Unlimited idea saving & library
Unlimited listening to ideas
Downloading & offline access
Claim Your Limited Offer
Get Deepstash Pro