Mamba Mentality: You Too Can Be GREAT - Deepstash
Mamba Mentality: You Too Can Be GREAT

Mamba Mentality: You Too Can Be GREAT

Ideas, facts & insights covering these topics:

8 ideas

·

4.69K reads

30

1

Explore the World's Best Ideas

Join today and uncover 100+ curated journeys from 50+ topics. Unlock access to our mobile app with extensive features.

What is Mamba Mentality?

What is Mamba Mentality?

Mamba Mentality is a term used to describe the basketball superstar Kobe Bryant. Simply said, it is trying to improve each day even if it is by a small %.

As a matter of fact, if you improve 1% each day of the year - at the end of the 365 days you would have become 37.78 times better (1.01^365)! That's the power of small, but consistent steps for your success.

52

878 reads

How the Mamba Mentality was born

Around 2003-2004 Bryant was at a low point in his career and personal life. Just before that he was at the peak of his game and all of a sudden, he fell like he had absolutely no idea where his life is going. Until he watched a scene from Kill Bill, where an assassin killed another character with a venomous snake. He was amazed by the snake's bite, length, strength and how it shed its skin. Symbolising not only the ability, but the need to change. Inspired by this, he created an alter ego, called Black Mamba.

45

696 reads

Discipline over talent

Talent matters, but discipline is what most people underestimate. It would be unfair to say that Kobe Bryant was untalented, but it was not the talent that set him apart from the others. It was his discipline. He was more than disciplined, he was obsessed at becoming better at his craft. That translated outside of the game, in his personal life as well. He was the embodiment of discipline and hard work. There are numerous stories how when his teammates partied - he worked, when they were on vacation - he..worked. So it was no surprise that he was one of the best.

46

624 reads

KOBE BRYANT

If you want to be great in a particular area, you have to obsess over it. A lot of people say they want to be great, but they’re not willing to make the sacrifices necessary to achieve greatness. They have other concerns, whether important or not, and they spread themselves out.

KOBE BRYANT

62

633 reads

Every master was once a novice

Do not be afraid to start something new. Because the first step to being good at something is to be bad. Nobody starts and becomes the best at anything - this is simply not how life works. Hence, why you should not limit yourself and instead try new things and do not be afraid to fail. There is this cliché, that the successful people failed more times than the unsuccessful even tried - but I can't emphasise enough how true this is.

51

533 reads

Win more than you lose

To be successful you just need to win more than you lose - that's it. It doesn't mean that you should never lose or that you should mostly win. No, you should just win more than you lose. It might be 60% (win) - 40% (lose) but surprise, surprise this is still very good. Imagine that you bet 1,000$ and you have 60% chance of winning and 40% of losing, in the long run you will easily see how far you can go with this mindset. 

47

456 reads

The mindset of winners (1)

There was a study made that compared accomplished people (winners) vs not so well-accomplished people. The results were incredibly insightful. It is not really that the so called winners didn't lose. They still won more than the other group, but it was not by much. The difference was elsewhere:

When the "winners" lost, they didn't lose that much testosterone, but when they won they gained a lot. The other group was the opposite - their testosterone levels dropped a lot when they lost, but didn't increase that much when they won.

48

452 reads

The mindset of winners (2)

This was all caused by their perception of the reality, instead of the reality itself. The reality was that both groups lost relatively the same amount of times. However, the perception in the groups was different. The first group viewed the loss as something normal and insignificant, but the win as big achievement that they deserved. The second group perceived the situation differently, they "suffered" a lot more from the loss, than they were "happy" about the win.

In order to make yourself a winner, change your perception about the winning & losing dynamic.

51

421 reads

IDEAS CURATED BY

amplenotes

Notes that will make you smarter

CURATOR'S NOTE

Mamba Mentality, or how to achieve great results by impeccable focus

Read & Learn

20x Faster

without
deepstash

with
deepstash

with

deepstash

Personalized microlearning

100+ Learning Journeys

Access to 200,000+ ideas

Access to the mobile app

Unlimited idea saving

Unlimited history

Unlimited listening to ideas

Downloading & offline access

Supercharge your mind with one idea per day

Enter your email and spend 1 minute every day to learn something new.

Email

I agree to receive email updates