Before discussing performance in a 1:1 meeting, check your empathy first. You want to add value and find out how your direct report feels.
- Does the person you're managing feel invested in your company or team goals?
- Does he/she feel as if you've got his/her back?
- Do you know what motivates him/her?
- Both parties must get something out of this relationship. What are you offering vs. what you're expecting?
- Does your direct report understand what he/she is supposed to do? How to do it?
- Does he/she have the right training, right scope, proper authority, right resources, and enough time to do as you need?
- Does he/she know how important your ask is?
- What does he/she need from you or other colleagues?
- Is he/she encountering bottlenecks?