How to Take Cornell Notes? - Deepstash

How to Take Cornell Notes?

  1. Divide a sheet of paper into three sections: a large note-taking section on the right-hand side, a smaller cue column on the left-hand side and a summary section at the bottom of the page.
  2. As you listen to material, identify the main ideas and write them in the cue column.
  3. In the note-taking section, write detailed the main ideas.
  4. After the lecture or reading, review your notes and summarize the main ideas in the summary section at the bottom of the page.
  5. Review and practice active recall of the notes regularly to improve retention and comprehension of the material.


687 reads




Productivity fan. Nature lover

There are dozens of ways to take notes, but they all seemingly end up with the same outcome. The Cornell note-taking system is an effective method for organizing and summarizing information during lectures or readings, leading to improved retention and comprehension of the material.

The idea is part of this collection:

Centers of Progress

Learn more about writing with this collection

The historical significance of urban centers

The impact of cultural and technological advances

The role of urban centers in shaping society

Related collections

Similar ideas to How to Take Cornell Notes?

Cornell Method: How to take notes

  1. Write down the lecture name/seminar/reading topic at the top of the page.
  2. Write down notes in the largest section of the page (right-hand column). Transcribe only the facts using bulleted lists and abbreviations. Take notes of questions that arise....

The Cornell Method

The Cornell Method

Divide your paper into three sections: a 2.5” margin to the left, a 2” summary section on the bottom, and a main 6” section.

  • The main 6" section is used for note-taking during class.
  • The 2.5" margin to the left is the cues section. Use this space to write down ideas you'll ...

The Cornell Method

The Cornell Method

  • The page is divided into 3 or 4 sections (top for title and, bottom for summary, 2 columns in the center).  
  • 30% of width should be kept in the left column while the remaining 70% for the right column.
  • All notes go into the main note-taking column....

Read & Learn

20x Faster





Personalized microlearning

100+ Learning Journeys

Access to 200,000+ ideas

Access to the mobile app

Unlimited idea saving

Unlimited history

Unlimited listening to ideas

Downloading & offline access

Supercharge your mind with one idea per day

Enter your email and spend 1 minute every day to learn something new.


I agree to receive email updates