- Give your undivided attention. Put away the cell phone, set aside your task list and quiet your internal monologue.
- Check your personal agenda at the door. Resist the urge to chime in with your parallel experience and let their story play out.
- Give space and allow for silence. Sometimes people need a pause to gather their thoughts.
- Open up your language. Use open-ended questions, such as "how" or "what" to invite exploration and communicate curiosity and lack of judgment.
- Reach out regularly to show them that you care.
199 people saved this idea