Science fiction, by definition, is science that isn’t real. But looking beyond the fantastical elements there are some very innovative ideas, a lot of which have had a real influence on modern technology. Here are some examples:
- Star Trek: The motion Picture predicted the Internet as embodied in the movie by the all-enveloping sentient machine ‘V’Ger’.
- Ready Player One predicted VR technology and virtual workplaces.
- Total Recall predicted self-driving cars.
- iRobot predicted self-driving cars that would allow the driver to take over too.
- Minority Report predicted interactive augmented reality now being commercialized as wearable pair of glasses.
- Back to the Future predicted the self-tying shoes.