The 2:98 Rule. Which side are you on? - Deepstash
Lifelong Learners

Learn more about psychology with this collection

How to apply new knowledge in everyday life

Why continuous learning is important

How to find and evaluate sources of knowledge

Lifelong Learners

Discover 74 similar ideas in

It takes just

7 mins to read

2:98 Rule

Most people hesitate to say hello – or smile – when they see someone unfamiliar. Why do we hesitate to greet a stranger?

If you greet a stranger with a smile or a ‘hello’, there’s a 98% chance that she or he will smile back and say hello. Both of you will probably feel better having exchanged smiles. And who knows, it might open a surprise door.

But there’s a 2% chance that the person will snub you. Not smile back. Look the other way. Make you feel sheepish. Look stupid even. That’s only a 2% probability of that happening – but the fear of looking stupid, stops us from saying hello, and smiling.

10

122 reads

When To Apply The Rule

And it’s not just about strangers and elevators. It’s about life. Asking for favours, switching jobs, making investments, chasing your dreams. Focus on the 98% probability of things going right. Not the 2% risk of failure. Give yourself the chance to win in the game of life.

9

115 reads

CURATED BY

CURATOR'S NOTE

Realizing that fear and possibilities are 2 sides of the same coin. We tend to be risk averse and tend to focus more on fear. This is a reminder to flip the script in our heads. Use the 2:98 rule.

stash-superman-illustration

Explore the World’s

Best Ideas

200,000+ ideas on pretty much any topic. Created by the smartest people around & well-organized so you can explore at will.

An Idea for Everything

Explore the biggest library of insights. And we've infused it with powerful filtering tools so you can easily find what you need.

Knowledge Library

Powerful Saving & Organizational Tools

Save ideas for later reading, for personalized stashes, or for remembering it later.

# Personal Growth

Take Your Ideas

Anywhere

Organize your ideas & listen on the go. And with Pro, there are no limits.

Listen on the go

Just press play and we take care of the words.

Never worry about spotty connections

No Internet access? No problem. Within the mobile app, all your ideas are available, even when offline.

Get Organized with Stashes

Ideas for your next work project? Quotes that inspire you? Put them in the right place so you never lose them.

Join

2 Million Stashers

4.8

5,740 Reviews

App Store

4.7

72,690 Reviews

Google Play

samz905

Don’t look further if you love learning new things. A refreshing concept that provides quick ideas for busy thought leaders.

Shankul Varada

Best app ever! You heard it right. This app has helped me get back on my quest to get things done while equipping myself with knowledge everyday.

Ashley Anthony

This app is LOADED with RELEVANT, HELPFUL, AND EDUCATIONAL material. It is creatively intellectual, yet minimal enough to not overstimulate and create a learning block. I am exceptionally impressed with this app!

Sean Green

Great interesting short snippets of informative articles. Highly recommended to anyone who loves information and lacks patience.

Jamyson Haug

Great for quick bits of information and interesting ideas around whatever topics you are interested in. Visually, it looks great as well.

Laetitia Berton

I have only been using it for a few days now, but I have found answers to questions I had never consciously formulated, or to problems I face everyday at work or at home. I wish I had found this earlier, highly recommended!

Giovanna Scalzone

Brilliant. It feels fresh and encouraging. So many interesting pieces of information that are just enough to absorb and apply. So happy I found this.

Ghazala Begum

Even five minutes a day will improve your thinking. I've come across new ideas and learnt to improve existing ways to become more motivated, confident and happier.

Read & Learn

20x Faster

without
deepstash

with
deepstash

with

deepstash

Access to 200,000+ ideas

Access to the mobile app

Unlimited idea saving & library

Unlimited history

Unlimited listening to ideas

Downloading & offline access

Personalized recommendations

Supercharge your mind with one idea per day

Enter your email and spend 1 minute every day to learn something new.

Email

I agree to receive email updates