- Repeat the last 1-3 words your counterpart just said back to them - makes your counterpart feel safe enough.
- Practice tactical empathy. Demonstrate to your counterpart that you see the nuances of their emotions.
- Get to a “no.” Being pushed for “yes” makes people defensive; they fear a trap.
- The moment you’ve convinced someone that you understand their dreams and feelings is the moment a negotiation breakthrough can happen.
- Create the illusion of control. The secret to gaining the upper hand in a negotiation is to give the other side the illusion of control.
28 people saved this idea