If you feel like you're influencing others for the wrong reasons, ask:
- How am I drawing attention to myself, and away from others?
- What is the organization missing while it’s focusing on me?
- If my company relies on me too much, what happens if I need a break, or become ill, or want to do something different?
- What do I do when I don’t know what to do and have not built up others to contribute?
- What do I do when all my old tricks of charisma or being “smart” don’t suit some future challenge?
- What happens if my moral compass becomes shaky, or if I did not develop one before becoming the charismatic leader everyone adores?
- If I have created this reliance on me, who will help me recognize this and change?