Deepstash brings you key ideas from the most inspiring articles like this one:
Read more efficiently
Save what inspires you
Save all ideas
Our brain relies on cognitive biases over clear evidence. Cognitive bias is the tendency to make poor judgments in a consistent pattern. Our unconscious biases are often so strong that they lead us to act in ways that are inconsistent with reason, our values, and beliefs.
Paying careful attention is the best way to beat these biases. It can only be done if you know the different types of cognitive biases that can influence your thinking.
Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired.
This acronym can be used by anyone to help you master self-care and self-awareness. It encourages you to pause and ask how you're feeling. Feeling hungry, angry, lonely, or tired makes you more vulnerable to self-destructive behaviors.
Use the SPADE framework, developed by Gokul Rajaram, when you face difficulty in decision making:
Irrelevant information can influence our decision making.
A study asked participants to pick one of three plans.
16% chose the first option, and the remaining 84% the last option. But when the middle option was removed, 68% chose the cheapest option.
SIMILAR ARTICLES & IDEAS:
Each day, we automatically make thousands of choices, from what time to wake up to what to eat.
The problem with this automatic processing is that there are instances when we jump to concl...
Sunk-cost fallacy. Present yourself with the new options at hand -- without considering the sunk cost.
Narrow framing. When we're in situations that will repeat themselves over time, we should take a step back and play a game of averages.
Emotionally driven decisions. Hold off on making important decisions when you are in a bad mood.
Confirmation bias. Always look for conflicting evidence and then make judgments based on more well-rounded information.
Ego depletion. When we're drained, physically or mentally, we're less likely to think critically.
The halo effect says that once we like somebody, we're more likely to look for his or her positive characteristics and avoid the negative ones. Realize your biases toward certain people and do what you can to eliminate them.
Most decision-making errors boil down to:
If you already have an opinion about something before you've even tried to figure it out, chances are you'll over-value information that confirms that opinion.
Think about what kinds of information you would expect to find to support alternative outcomes.
The “fundamental attribution error,” is when we excuse our own mistakes but blame other people for theirs.
Give other people the chance to explain themselves before judging their behavior.
We surround ourselves with it: We tend to like people who think like us; if we agree with someone's beliefs, we're more likely to be friends with them.
This makes sense, but it means ...
It's a thinking mistake and it occurs when we confuse selection factors with results.
Professional swimmers don't have perfect bodies because they train extensively. Rather, they are good swimmers because of their physiques.
It plays on this tendency of ours to emphasize loss over gain.
The term sunk cost refers to any cost that has been paid already and cannot be recovered. The reason we can't ignore the cost, even though it's already been paid, is that we're wired to feel loss far more strongly than gain.