Learn more about problemsolving with this collection
How to prioritize self-care in the workplace
How to adapt to new work arrangements
How to maintain work-life balance
People often confuse risk with uncertainty. But the terms "risk" and "uncertainty" do not refer to the same thing.
The more you understand a system, the more able you are to convert uncertainty into risk.
Most people deal with uncertainty by only doing things others have done in the past. But this tends to restrict people by repeating experiences they've had or knowing the experiences of others. This can create a trap where you avoid good opportunities just because nobody has tried them.
The prospect theory shows that people are often willing to make riskier decisions to avoid losses than to make gains - even when the situation is identical but framed differently. For example, a 30% chance of death and a 70% chance of life are two different ways to describe the same thing.
If uncertainty is the default, an irrationally strong influence will be exerted on the outcome.
Once you understand a system, you can change some risk into uncertainty. Sometimes you can do this completely, but other times you can limit your range of uncertainties to a calculable level.
More knowledge allows you more controlled risk. However, sometimes, people overestimate their knowledge. They may think they understand a system when they really don't.
Uncertainty hides the risks of our decisions. This makes us tread very carefully. But, in reality, most of the decision terrain isn't nearly so dangerous. Things that look risky often aren't, and things that look routine and safe, often are.
The solution is to gain more knowledge and understanding of the specific area. This will clear the fog, often revealing a gentle passage.
More like this
Seven Ways To Cure Your Aversion To Risk
How to make smarter decisions ~ Get Rich Slowly
11 Ways Emotionally Intelligent People Overcome Uncertainty
Explore the World’s
Take Your Ideas
Just press play and we take care of the words.
No Internet access? No problem. Within the mobile app, all your ideas are available, even when offline.
2 Million Stashers
Great interesting short snippets of informative articles. Highly recommended to anyone who loves information and lacks patience.
Don’t look further if you love learning new things. A refreshing concept that provides quick ideas for busy thought leaders.
Best app ever! You heard it right. This app has helped me get back on my quest to get things done while equipping myself with knowledge everyday.
This app is LOADED with RELEVANT, HELPFUL, AND EDUCATIONAL material. It is creatively intellectual, yet minimal enough to not overstimulate and create a learning block. I am exceptionally impressed with this app!
Even five minutes a day will improve your thinking. I've come across new ideas and learnt to improve existing ways to become more motivated, confident and happier.
Brilliant. It feels fresh and encouraging. So many interesting pieces of information that are just enough to absorb and apply. So happy I found this.
I have only been using it for a few days now, but I have found answers to questions I had never consciously formulated, or to problems I face everyday at work or at home. I wish I had found this earlier, highly recommended!
Great for quick bits of information and interesting ideas around whatever topics you are interested in. Visually, it looks great as well.
Read & Learn
Access to 200,000+ ideas
Access to the mobile app
Unlimited idea saving & library
Unlimited listening to ideas
Downloading & offline access
Supercharge your mind with one idea per day
Enter your email and spend 1 minute every day to learn something new.
I agree to receive email updates