While some stress is essential for human function, chronic stress creates a cascade of physical changes throughout your body:
- Heart problems: high risk for high blood pressure, heart attack, and stroke.
- A weak immune system, leaving you vulnerable in the face of illnesses.
- Diabetes risk: Chronic stress can lead to extra blood sugar.
- Stress can cause stomach and digestion problems and increase the intake of unhealthy foods and alcohol.
- Sex and reproduction problems in both men and women.