The 5 Second Rule
If you have an impulse to act on a goal, you must physically move within 5 seconds or your brain will kill the idea.
• Start by counting backwards to yourself: 5-4-3-2-1. The counting will help you focus on the goal or commitment and distract you from the worries, thoughts and fears in your mind.
• As soon as you reach "1", take a small positive action towards your goal. That’s it.
4, 3, 2, 1… Break a Bad Habit
To change a bad habit you must replace it with a different habit. Every habit has three parts: cue, routine, and reward.
When you silently countdown from five (cue), take a small positive action (routine), and get a pleasurable feeling of control (reward), you’ve created a new habit loop.
Ways to use the 5 Second Rule
• To push yourself
• Become more influential at work
• Be more productive
• Step outside your comfort zone
• Become more efficient at networking
• To self-monitor and control your emotions
• To manage, engage, motivate and encourage team members
❤️ Brainstash Inc.