Ideas from books, articles & podcasts.
1. Exercise on a Monday night (nothing fun happens on a Monday night).
2. On the fence about a purchase? Wait 72 hours before you buy it.
3. Tip: the quickest supermarket queue is always behind the fullest trolley (greeting, paying and packing take longer than you think).
7. Plant spring bulbs, even if they’re just in a pot.
8. Send a voice note instead of a text; they sound like personal mini podcasts.
9. Keep a bird feeder by a window, ideally the kitchen. It’ll pass the time when you’re washing up.
10. Always bring ice to house parties (there’...
14. Buy a cheap blender and use it to finely chop onions (it saves on time and tears).
15. Keep your children’s drawings and paintings. Put the best ones in frames.
16. Set aside 10 minutes a day to do something you really enjoy – be it reading a book or playing Halo.
17. Don’t ...
20. Can’t sleep? Try a relaxing soak with lavender bath oil before bed.
21. Add the milk at least one minute after the tea has brewed.
22. Laugh shamelessly at your own jokes.
23. It might sound obvious, but a pint of water before bed after a big night avoids a clanger of a hang...
27. If possible, take the stairs.
28. Always be willing to miss the next train.
29. Eat meat once a week, max. Ideally less.
30. Be polite to rude strangers – it’s oddly thrilling.
31. Ask questions, and listen to the answers.
32. Connect with nature: stand outside b...
37. If you’re going less than a mile, walk or cycle. About half of car journeys are under two miles, yet these create more pollution than longer journeys as the engine isn’t warmed up yet.
38. Sleep with your phone in a different room (and buy an alarm clock).
39. Send postcards from ...
44. Try taking a cold shower (30 seconds to two minutes) before your hot one. It’s good for your health – both physical and mental.
45. Text to say thank you!
46. Read a poem every day. Keep a compendium, such as A Poem for Every Day of the Year, by your bed.
47. Take out your h...
54. Always bring something – wine, flowers – to a dinner/birthday party, even if they say not to.
55. Learn the names of 10 trees.
56. Call an old friend out of the blue.
57. Every so often, search your email for the word “unsubscribe” and then use it on as many as you can.
64. Dry your cutlery with a cloth (it keeps it shiny).
65. Instead of buying a morning coffee, set up a daily transfer of £2 (or your local currency) from a current into a savings account and forget about it. Use it to treat yourself to something different later.
66. Don’t save things...
72. Always use freshly ground pepper.
73. Thank a teacher who changed your life.
74. Respect your youngers.
75. Keep your keys in the same place.
76. Ditch the plastic cartons and find a milkman – The Modern Milkman has a comprehensive list.
77. Rent rather than buy ...
83. Join a local litter-picking group.
84. Handwash that thing you’ve never cleaned.
85. Don’t get a pet/do get a pet.
87. Learn how to breathe deeply: in through the nose, out through the mouth, making the exhale longer than the inhale.
88. Buy a bike and u...
94. Give compliments widely and freely.
95. Set up an affordable standing order to a charity.
96. Keep a book in your bag to avoid the temptation to doomscroll.
97. Listen to the albums you loved as a teenager.
98. Make a friend from a different generation.
created 26 ideas
I definitely agree with some of these🤔 And am now inspired to make a list of my own!
created 16 ideas
❤️ Brainstash Inc.